Jan 30, 2020
Forex Today: Dollar bends but doesn’t break
Here is what you need to know on Friday, January 31st:
- The USD eased against high-yielding rivals but appreciated against commodity-linked currencies. Against safe-haven, the greenback spent most of the day losing ground, recovering ahead of Wall Street’s close after the WTO press conference on the coronavirus.
- US preliminary estimate of Q4 GDP met the market’s expectations with 2.1% but failed to boost dollar’s buying.
- The EUR/USD pair settled at around 1.1030 amid easing demand for the dollar.
- The BOE surprised with a hawkish stance, GBP/USD hit 1.3108. Only 2 MPC voted for a rate cut, against expectations of at least 3. Governor Carney was cautiously optimistic.
- The WTO declared the coronavirus outbreak an international emergency but overall was optimistic about contention, with risk-aversion easing ahead of the close.
- USD/JPY traded as low as 108.57, recovering toward 108.90.
- Gold soared to $ 1,586 a troy ounce shedding some $10 ahead of the close and following WTO presser.
- Crude oil prices fell sharply at the beginning of the day, recovering ahead of the close.
- Crypto Today: Bitcoin bulls readying critical $9500 barrier break