Breaking: Aussie CPI Q4 Trimmed Mean 0.4% ( vs 0.4% expected and prior 0.4%)
Aussie fourth quarterly CPI has arrived ... AUSTRALIA Q4 CPI (ALL GROUPS) +0.7 PCT Q/Q (REUTERS POLL +0.6 PCT) (slightly Bullish).
Data as follows
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 RBA TRIMMED MEAN CPI +0.4 PCT Q/Q (REUTERS POLL +0.4 PCT)
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 CPI (ALL GROUPS) +0.7 PCT Q/Q (REUTERS POLL +0.6 PCT)
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 RBA WEIGHTED MEDIAN CPI +0.4 PCT Q/Q (REUTERS POLL +0.4 PCT)
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 RBA TRIMMED MEAN CPI +1.6 PCT YR/YR (REUTERS POLL +1.5 PCT)
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 CPI (ALL GROUPS) +1.8 PCT YR/YR (REUTERS POLL +1.7 PCT)
- 28-Jan-2020 18:30:00 - AUSTRALIA Q4 RBA WEIGHTED MEDIAN CPI +1.3 PCT YR/YR (REUTERS POLL +1.3 PCT)
The Reserve Bank of Australia forecasted a trimmed mean inflation to come in at 0.4% and 1.6% YoY, which had been published in the SoMP. No fireworks were expected on anything inline with that so AUD is only slightly bid.
The key focus will have been with the Aussie jobs data back on the 23rd of this month which showed a positive trend in a falling unemployment rate.
Before the data: AUD/USD Price Analysis: Levels to consider before Aussie CPI
After the data: More to come...
Australian RBA's quarterly inflation preview: No chances of a U-turn in AUD/USD. RBA seen on hold next February, despite whatever the outcome of the inflation report. Australian inflation seen below RBA’s target in the final quarter of 2020. AUD/USD bearish and at risk of re-testing a multi-year low at 0.6670.
The Consumer Price Index released by the RBA and republished by the Australian Bureau of Statistics is a measure of price movements by the comparison between the retail prices of a representative shopping basket of goods and services. The trimmed mean is calculated as the weighted mean of the central 70% of the quarterly price change distribution of all CPI components, with the annual rates based on compounded quarterly calculations.