Jan 8, 2019
UK PM May's spokesman: PM reaffirmed that it's not government policy to extend article 50
British Prime Minister spokesman recently crossed the wires delivering the key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
- PM reaffirmed at cabinet that it is not government policy to extend article 50.
- If there are assurances on Brexit deal it is important lawmakers know about them before the Brexit vote.
- Finance bill amendment is not desirable but its effect would be an inconvenience rather than anything more significant.
- People in the EU have been discussing the issue of extending article 50 but not British officials.
- PM seeking assurances from EU that neither UK nor EU want to use the Northern Irish backstop and if used, it would be temporary.
- Cabinet discussed meaningful vote on Brexit which will take place on Tuesday Jan. 15, subject to parliament.