Nov 28, 2017
Fed’s Powell: Fed expects interest rates to rise ‘somewhat further’
In further comments released to news agencies:
- Uncertainty requires Fed policy to stay flexible.
- Size of Fed’s balance sheet to shrink gradually.
- Fed’s Powell pledges "To respond decisively" to any new economic threats, cites need to retain "Flexibility" in setting policy – RTRS.
- pledges to defend fed independence while working to enhance accountability to public and Congress.
- Do all "In my power" to defend twin fed goals of maximum employment, price stability.
- Banking system safer due to higher capital, other requirements, but promises to look for ways to ease "Regulatory burdens".